NORMAN, Okla. — An Oklahoma City man who state law enforcement officials said was driving the wrong way on I-35 in Moore was arrested early Monday morning.
According to an Oklahoma Highway Patrol collision report, an OHP trooper saw a minivan, which was later determined to be driven by 39-year-old Jason Cyril Welch, driving erratically, including attempting to run another vehicle off the road near Southwest 19th Street and Santa Fe Avenue.
When the trooper attempted to stop Welch, he fled, and at one point, was driving in the opposite direction of traffic on I-35.
A trooper was able to perform a Tactical Vehicle Intervention (TVI) maneuver, causing Welch’s vehicle to leave the roadway, go through a fence, and become disabled.
Welch then attempted to flee on foot, but was apprehended by OHP troopers. While the troopers were placing Welch in custody, Welch resisted and attempted to assault one of them, the report read.
According to the report, Welch is believed to have been under the influence of an intoxicating substance during incident.
Welch is being held in the Cleveland County jail on complaints of DUI, driving a motor vehicle with a cancelled/suspended/revoked license, obstructing an officer, resisting arrest and eluding a law enforcement officer. Oklahoma court records show that no formal charges have been filed against Welch.
Records also show Welch has a previous criminal record, including an Oklahoma County drug-related conviction in 2013. He received a seven-year suspended sentence in that case.
Police identify woman killed by train in January
Norman Police Department officials on Monday identified the woman who was killed last month after her vehicle was hit by an Amtrak train in Norman.
According to Norman Public Safety Information Officer Sarah Jensen, 50-year-old Katharina Gruber, of Lexington, was driving westbound just after 9 a.m. Jan. 19, over a private railroad crossing in the 3500 block of Classen Blvd., when her vehicle was struck by a northbound train.
Gruber was pronounced dead at the scene, Jensen said. No other injuries were reported. The collision remains under investigation.
As a result of the collision, traffic signals at 12th Ave SE and State Highway 9 were disrupted, and caused a long delay for train passengers.
According to Amtrak, the train was operating just under the 79-mph speed limit at the crossing, safety features were fully operational and the horn was used at the time of impact.
The following people were charged with felony counts in the Cleveland County Court Clerk’s Office:
• Jenkins, Kellen Christopher, 25, was charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.
• Johnson, Jeremy Kyle, 85, faces charges of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, possessing methamphetamine-misdemeanor, and driving a motor vehicle with a suspended license-misdemeanor.
• Hawkins, Austen Matthew, 19, faces charges of drug trafficking, possessing/selling drug paraphernalia-misdemeanor, and bringing contraband into a jail-misdemeanor.
• Santos, Daniel John, 50, was charged with DUI-alcohol (second offense) and leaving the scene of an accident-misdemeanor.
• Richardson, Aretha, 37, faces charges of first-degree burglary, assault and battery and attempting/threatening/planning to cause bodily harm.
• Littlejohn, Eshawna Lynnette, faces charges of first-degree burglary, assault and battery with a dangerous/deadly weapon and assault and battery.
• Brown, Shauna Colleen, 45, was charged with second-degree murder and exploiting an elderly/disabled person.
• Megow, Lance Steven, 27, faces charges of possessing a firearm after a previous felony conviction, obstructing an officer-misdemeanor, and possessing/selling drug paraphernalia-misdemeanor.
• Fuller, Lance Roy, 32, faces charges of possessing methamphetamine with the intent to distribute, possessing marijuana with the intent to distribute, using a firearm during the commission of a felony and possessing/selling drug paraphernalia-misdemeanor.
• Clymer, Wayne Allen, 46, was charged with aggravated possession of child pornography and buying/procuring/possessing child pornography.
• Thompson, Phillip, faces four felony counts of receiving/concealing stolen property.
• Brooks, Sabrina Sharee, 28, was charged with enabling child neglect.
• Jolley, Sonya, 45, was charged with larceny of a controlled dangerous substance.
• W. Main Street and Hal Muldrow Drive: At 1:41 p.m., two vehicles were involved in a non-injury collision.
• N. Crawford Avenue and E. Robinson Street: At 2:39 p.m., three vehicles were involved in a non-injury collision.
• 12th Avenue SE and Alameda Street: At 12:02 p.m., two vehicles were involved in an injury collision. Minor injuries were reported.