People who are thinking about running for the Ada City Council or their local school board have less than a week to decide.
The filing period for spring elections runs from 8 a.m. Monday through 5 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 6. Candidates may file their declarations of candidacy at the Pontotoc County Election Board office, 131 W. 13th St.
The following seats are up for election in the spring:
• Ada Board of Education: Office No. 3, Ward 4, currently held by Todd Boone.
• Ada City Council: Wards 2 and 4. Councilman Ben McFarlane currently represents Ward 2 on the council, and Mayor Guy Sewell serves the 4th Ward.
• Allen Board of Education: Office No. 3, currently held by Robert Hammonds.
• Byng Board of Education: Office No. 3, Ward 3. The incumbent is Judy Brooks.
• Latta Board of Education: Position 3, currently held by Royce Chandler.
• Roff Board of Education: Office No. 3. The seat is currently occupied by Bill Lee.
• Stonewall Board of Education: Office No. 3. The incumbent is Linda Townsend.
• Vanoss Board of Education: Office No. 3. The incumbent is Bo Ellis.
• Pontotoc Technology Center Board: Office No. 5, Zone 3, currently held by John Anderson. The Office No. 3, Zone 3, slot is also up for election. Phillip Fuller, who is finishing an unexpired term, holds the second slot on the board.
Filing packets are available on the Oklahoma State Election Board website, www.elections.ok.gov.
The primary election for the city council and the school boards is set for Feb. 13. If no candidate receives more than 50 percent of the total votes cast, the two candidates who picked up the most votes will square off in an April 3 runoff election.
For more information, call the Election Board office at (580) 332-4534.