Jeff Cali Sports Editor email@example.com
For many years, the late Bob Forrest handed out preseason basketball rankings for teams in the Ada area.
Unfortunately, I am not going to continue that tradition. I get in enough trouble with the Ada News All-Area postseason awards.
However, I got a letter from longtime Stonewall resident Homer Roberts, and he shared his preseason rankings for the teams in the Pontotoc Conference. So I thought I’d share some of his thoughts with you.
“As you know, I am a high school basketball fan, especially for Pontotoc County teams. I also pull for teams in the southeast part of the state — south of I-40 and east of I-35. ... I am writing this letter to make my preseason predictions for the Pontotoc Conference team. This is not easy to do, but this is my opinion.”
He’s right about that. Should be some fun games for sure.
HOMER’S GIRLS PICKS
1. Asher — One big girl, and two or three back from last year as starters.
2. Roff — All I have to say is the names of Trimmer and Crawford. Crawford is a good rebounder and also can score, along with Trimmer and the rest of the team.
3. Allen — This was a real young team last year, and they have at least four starters back.
4. Vanoss — Will be much improved with coach Dillon Snow.
5. Stonewall — They lost five seniors and only have one senior this year. They have to have a lot of young players step up.
6. Tupelo — Will be young and also with a new coach.
7. Calvin, 8. Wanette — These teams may fool a lot of people.
HOMER’S BOYS PICKS
1. Roff — Last year was young, but improved by the end of the year. All five starters this year have started before.
2. Asher — A lot of good athletes to go with some starters from last year.
3. Vanoss — This is my pick, but don’t know much about them. But I do believe they have three or four starters back from last year.
4. Stonewall — Lost their center early last year and along with three other starters.
5. Allen — Lost three starters and only played six most of the time. (Have to give an assist to Homer here. Allen lost all five starters from its 2012-13 team). 6. Tupelo — Achieved more last year than anybody dreamed, but will really be young this year.
7. Calvin, 8. Wanette — These teams may fool a lot of people, including myself.
There you have it, folks. Homer’s 2013 Pontotoc Conference picks.
You ready for some basketball?