Following is a list of the 2017 Ada High football team’s accomplishments provided by Mick “Voice of the Cougars” Cowan. Cowan has been broadcasting Ada High football games for over three decades.
• Won 10 games to extend the all-time Cougar mark to 802 wins — No. 1 in Oklahoma.
• Won game No. 800 with a 42-19 win over Elgin. There are only 23 teams with 800 wins out of 15,000-plus teams in the United States. Ada is in the top 99.85 precent of all US teams in wins.
• Won district title No. 45 in Ada history, also tops in Oklahoma.
• Qualified for the state playoffs for the 58th time and that is a state record.
• Won three more playoff games, giving Ada 106 postseason victories, also a state record.
• Played in the state finals for the 23rd time. Of course, the 19 state titles is also a state record.
Ada senior Jackson McFarlane put up incredible numbers this season and is now listed among former Cougar greats in many areas.
• McFarlane set the record for most total offense in a season in 2017 with 3,212 yards. He also had the No. 9 spot with 2,321 in 2016.
• McFarlane finished No. 5 in career total offense with 5,533 yards and he did this in just two seasons at quarterback. As a sophomore, McFarlane was a wide receiver. Only Kerry Johnson, Brian Odom, Wyatt Robson and Brandon Daniels had more.
• McFarane finished with the No. 2 season in passing yards in 2017 with 2,121. Wyatt Robson is first at 2,605. He also finished No. 6 with 1,537 in 2016.
• McFarlane finished No. 2 in career passing yards with 3,658 as Wyatt is first at 5,366.
• McFarlane rushed for 1,091 yards this year, one of 43 Cougars to do so despite many sacks.
“Gritty, hard-nosed, never give up, a brotherhood of warriors — this is who the Ada Cougars are,” Cowan said. “This is what football is all about. I am so proud of this group of men and their coaches. They are champions in every sense of the word.”