With the rising gas prices and people’s pockets being emptied in an effort to have transportation, the world is overlooking a natural resource that has a very real possibility of becoming more scarce than oil — fresh water.

Looking at the Earth from a distance, one sees a planet of blue, but this is misleading, for 97.5 percent of the world’s water is salt water, which leaves only 2.5 percent of the blue to fresh water. That statistic, too, is misleading because nearly 70 percent of the world’s fresh water is frozen in the ice caps of Antarctica and Greenland. Making the world’s supply of its most needed natural resource too limited for comfort.

Most people see water as a crisis only in third world countries, with one out of six people in the world lacking safe drinking water, but this is not true. Right in our backyard people are experiencing water shortages.

During the summer months being without water seems impossible, but Rural Water District 8 consumer John Fitzgerald has been dealing sporadic water shortages since last October. His complaints and questions have been stifled by an unconcerned water district.

With water always around, people take for granted its constant availability. When it is gone it affects more than just the person; animals and plants under the care of the individual suffer as well. Fitzgerald made it very clear he not only is concerned for himself and his family but for his horses.

Lack of water should never be an issue because it is vital to maintaining all life on this planet, but sadly due to negligence and unconcerned citizens it is a very real problem that needs addressed. It is not some problem that only third world countries have to deal with. It is a problem that the world as a community must address. Together a plan of action can be determined and water woes can be drowned with an adequate supply.

This Week's Circulars