WAGONER, Okla. — While a number of potential causes of a Dec. 15 fatal fire in Wagoner County have been eliminated, the exact cause has yet to be pinpointed, according to Judah Sheppard, investigator with Oklahoma State Fire Marshal’s Office.

The fire claimed the life of a 6-month-old baby, who was one of two children living in the home. Contrary to some earlier reports, Sheppard said the home did have utilities connected.

“What we do know is the (kitchen) stove was not being used as a heating source, and space heaters weren’t in use,” he said. Sheppard said no criminal activity was suspected as a cause of the fire.

Sheppard said he has interviewed Mark Fuller, 27, the father of two children living in the home with the couple. But, Sheppard said, as of Thursday he has not been able to interview the mother, Kristina Anderson, 27. Both were asleep in the home at the time the fire broke out about 1:30 a.m. on Dec. 15 at 31800 E. 724 Road in Toppers, he said.

“The parents are still in the healing process,” Sheppard said. 

Sheppard said his office has sent samples of electrical wiring in the home in for examination to help determine if the wiring might have been faulty.

“We’re being cautious and careful in our investigation,” he said. 

It could be some time before a cause of the blaze is determined as officials continue to sift through potential evidence, Sheppard said.

While the owner of the mobile home had insurance on the residence, the couple leasing it did not have renter’s insurance.


Elswick writes for Tahlequah Daily Press, a CNHI News Service publication.

Reach Mike Elswick at (918) 684-2954, @melswickMPhx or melswick@muskogeephoenix.com.

Locations

This Week's Circulars