Woman rescued from burning home

Emergency crews and investigators stretch crime scene tape at the scene of a residential fire at 317 W. 15th Street Thursday, July 28, 2011. One victim was rescued from the residence.

The Ada News

 

Emergency officials worked furiously to revive a woman suffering from smoke inhalation after she was pulled from her burning home by firefighters Thursday.

Officials were called to the residence of Donna Christopher in the 300 block of W. 15th just after 11 a.m. Christopher, 62, was trapped in the back of the house while fire consumed the front.

Smoke was billowing from the windows when firefighters arrived.

“When they made entry, there was thick black smoke from floor to ceiling ... zero visibility,” Ada Assistant Fire Chief Rick Ross said. “My guys had to feel their way around the house to find the victim.”

Firefighters found Christopher unconscious in a back bedroom and carried her outside where other firefighters and EMS began CPR. Officials detected a pulse but Christopher was unable to breathe on her own, according to emergency radio traffic. Officials worked at a fever pace doing chest compressions and getting oxygen to Christopher.

She was taken by Valley View EMS to Valley View Regional Hospital, then taken by medical helicopter to Integris Baptist Medical Center in Oklahoma City. A spokesperson at Integris said Thursday at 9 p.m. Christopher was in critical condition.

Ada Fire Marshal Justin Priest said the fire appears to be accidental and started near a chair in a front room.

 

This Week's Circulars