Witnesses in the trial of Glen Gore, convicted in the 1982 slaying of Debra Sue Carter, testified Monday that they remember seeing Gore and Carter together at an Ada nightclub the night before she died. Others testified that Ron Williamson, originally convicted of the crime and later released due to DNA testing, was not present at the club that night.

Gore is being retried in the case following an Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals ruling saying he should have been allowed to present evidence in his earlier trial demonstrating that, just because his was the only DNA found at the murder scene, does not mean he committed the crime.

Carter’s body was found Dec. 8, 1982 in her garage apartment. She had been brutally sexually assaulted and murdered.

Toni Ramsey told Pontotoc County District Judge Tom Landrith’s court that she saw Carter angrily pull away from Gore after dancing with him at the club the night before the murder. She said later that night she saw them together in the parking lot.

Tommy Glover, who worked with Gore at the Coachlight, also said he saw the pair in the club’s parking lot and that Carter indicated she wanted to leave, but didn’t quite push Gore away.

Gina Vietta, the last person known to have talked with Carter, testified that she received a call from her between 2:30 and 3 a.m. Dec. 8 in which Carter told her she was with someone who made her uncomfortable and that she wanted to go to Vietta’s house. A few minutes later, Vietta said, Carter called back to tell her not to pick her up after all. Vietta asked Carter who was with her and then heard a muffled sound that could have been a hand over the telephone mouthpiece. Carter then told Vietta to call her in the morning so she could get up to go to work.

Vietta also testified that, to her knowledge, Williamson was not at the club that night and that she had seen Gore and Carter dancing together.

Ron West testified that he gave Gore a ride to the Coachlight and later that night drove him to Oak Street where Gore told him he could walk to his mother’s house.

Richard Wintory, lead prosecutor, questioned John Jones, OSBI agent, who testified that he walked the route Gore might have taken had he walked from the drop off point on Oak Street to Carter’s apartment at 1022 1/2 E. 8th. Jones concluded that Gore had sufficient time to get to the apartment before Carter made the first call to Vietta.

Gore defense attorneys attacked the times as being inexact because Jones performed his exercise in different footwear and clothing than Gore had worn the night of the murder, in different weather conditions and without any knowledge of train schedules the night of the murder.

This Week's Circulars