The parents of an infant who was injured last week were arrested after they allegedy failed to seek medical care for the baby.

Arrested were 25-year-old Patric Edward Eddy of Allen and 26-year-old Candace Mercedes Matthews of Ada.

The injury occurred Tuesday evening at a residence in the 300 block of South Cherry Street. According to an affidavit filed Thursday by Ada Police Detective Brian Engel, a 16-day-old child was in the care of a 16-year-old girl who was giving the baby a bath at the time.

“(The girl) stated the infant was in the sink under the running water, and she said she turned off what she thought was the hot water. However, she accidentally turned off the cold water and the infant was accidentally burned,” Engel said.

The girl reportedly told her mother. The mother then called the infant’s parents — Eddy and Matthews — who picked up the child and took her home.

On Wednesday, the mother of the 16-year-old visited a residence in the 200 block of South Cherry Street to check on the baby, according to the affidavit.

“(The woman) stated on arrival she observed the infant to be in a bed crying, and she stated the infant’s diaper was full of urine and feces,” Engel said. “(The woman) stated (Eddy and Matthews) were asleep in a bed next to the infant. (The woman) stated she then observed the burn on the infant’s stomach, and she stated the injury looked ‘awful’. (The woman) stated she woke up (Matthews) and asked her if she wanted her to take the infant to the hospital.”

Matthews reportedly agreed, and the woman took the infant to the woman’s mother, who is a former nurse.

“(The woman) stated upon observing the burn, her mother told her to take the child to the hospital,” Engel said.

The woman then reportedly called 911.

The infant was taken by Mercy EMS to the Air Evac Lifeteam headquarters at the Ada Municipal Airport. According to emergency radio traffic, the infant suffered first- and second-degree burns over 40 percent of her body.

City of Ada Public Information Director Lisa Bratcher said the infant will be transferred to a burn center in Texas, where she will spend at least one month recovering.

Engel said during questioning, Eddy and Matthews allegedly admitted they were under the influence of methamphetamine Tuesday.

Bail was set at $250,000 for both Eddy and Matthews. They remain in the Pontotoc County Justice Center.