ADA — The deadline for filing homestead exemption for 2006 is March 15, 2006. All new homeowners and people who have bought and moved into a different home by Jan. 1, 2006, need to file for their homestead exemption by that date.

Dates for filing homestead exemption are as follows:

Roff: Jan. 4 and 5

Lula: Jan. 10 from 9 a.m. until noon

Fitzhugh: Jan. 12 from 1-4 p.m.

Francis: Jan. 18

Stonewall: Feb. 2 and 3

Allen: March 1, 2 and 3

Fittstown: Jan. 20

Vanoss: Feb. 21 from 9 a.m. until noon

Gaar Corner: Feb. 21 from 1-4 p.m.

New for 2006 are the 100 percent veterans and surviving spouse exemption as passed under State Question 715 which is effective for and begins for the year 2006. Surviving spouses of 100 percent disabled veterans and 100 percent disabled veterans may file for property tax exemption on their homesteaded property for 2006. These applicants will need to bring their qualification letters stating 100 percent disabled veteran or a surviving spouses of 100 percent disabled veteran from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and a picture identification. The applicant must meet homestead exemption qualifications.

Personal property needs to be assessed or re-assessed by March 15, 2006. Personal property which should be assessed each year includes mobile homes, professional and office equipment, all business furniture and fixtures, machinery, equipment and inventories, tractors, and farm equipment (implements).

An individual head of household who is 65 years of age or older and whose gross income from all sources did not exceed $41, 250 for the preceding year may apply to have their assessed value frozen on their homesteaded property. The frozen status of the property will be cancelled or revised when the following occurs: person no longer owns or occupies the property, gross income exceeds $41, 250, or improvements are added to the property. Actual taxes may change due to bond issues being passed.

Application for additional homestead exemption can be made for homeowners regardless of age whose gross household income (total of all sources of income in the household) is $20,000 or less.

Manufactured home owners who own their mobile home but not the land which it sits on can apply for an exemption if the head of household is 62 years of age or older and if the gross income from all sources in the household is $10,000 or less.

To avoid delays please bring last year’s assessment papers with you. For more information, contact the Pontotoc County Assessor’s Office at the courthouse at P.O. Box 396, Ada, OK, 74821, or phone (580) 332-0317.