ADA — Responding to a structure fire Wednesday morning at 9:47 a.m., three truck crews from Ada Fire department spent nearly two hours extinguishing a fire that destroyed the roof at 2201 Foster Drive. Three pets, a 4-year-old Chihuahua and two 6-month-old kittens died at the scene. Ada Fire Marshall Justin Priest concurred with initial assessments by fire fighters that the blaze began on the back porch where a heat lamp clamped to a cardboard box was used to keep two small kittens warm.

The fire spread to the attic and had plenty of fuel from the roof which, according to the fire department report, contained layers of wood shingles under the asphalt shingles. The contents of the house received some smoke and water damage, however the worst damage was to the roof and support rafters. Because the back of the house was on fire, neighbors detected the smoke and fire after it had sustained quite a bit of damage. Ada fire fighters estimated $70,000 in damages to the home.

“We have been blessed beyond understanding with offers of support from people coming by, including offers to do the dirty laundry,” said Jim Stevens, homeowner. “The house isn’t a total loss, it’s just disruptive.” Stevens was at work when the fire started and was called by neighbors. His wife arrived at the scene to move their van from the driveway as fire fighters worked to extinguish the burning roof.

This Week's Circulars