Gas leak triggers early dismissal of Stratford schools

Richard R. Barron / The Ada NewsCaution signs and CenterPoint Energy trucks surround Stratford schools Tuesday after a leak was detected in a nearby natural gas line.

Stratford students enjoyed an early dismissal Tuesday after CenterPoint Energy notified school officials that a nearby gas leak could potentially pose a danger to students.

Stratford Public Schools Superintendent Michael Blackburn said school officials decided to remove students from the affected buildings at 10:30 a.m. Buses ran their afternoon routes immediately afterward to accommodate students whose parents were unable to pick them up at school.

Blackburn said the gas leak was discovered in a CenterPoint Energy gas line near the school, not in the school itself. He said repairs are underway, and he does not expect the leak to affect today’s schedule.

School officials will notify parents, he said, if any changes are made to today’s schedule.

CenterPoint Energy did not return calls for comment on the leak.


Contact Carl Lewis at (580) 310-7520, or by email at clewis@theadanews.com.

Staff Writer

Carl Lewis is a general assignment reporter for The Ada News. He's an aspiring photographer, an unabashed fan of Apple products and an avid coffee swiller. Contact Carl at (580) 310-7520, or by email at clewis@theadanews.com.