JULY 18, 2011
• Ada City Council will meet at 5:45 p.m. at city council chambers inside City Hall. Council meets the first and third Monday of each month unless the date falls on a holiday. The meetings are also televised live on CableOne, Channel 11. For an agenda of the meeting, visit www.adaok.com.
• Silas Missionary Baptist Church hostS a “Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries” class July 18-21. This is a 25-hour class recommended for anyone that coaches any sport at any level. The instructor will be Chandra Dyer from Logan Medical Center Sports Medicine Department in Guthrie. She is also head athletic trainer for Guthrie High School. Cost will be $130 per person. Classes are 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. For more information, phone 405-395-8026. There will be a $50 pre-enrollment fee, non-refundable. Send or bring erollment fee to 725 N. Division, Konawa, OK 74849. The church is lcoated at 723 N. Division.
• Pontotoc County Alcoholics Anonymous group meets at 8 p.m. at Central Church of Christ, 820 Stadium Drive, Ada. Big book study night.
JULY 19, 2011
• TOPS - Take Off Pounds Sensibly, a support weight loss group, meets at 8:15 a.m. each Tuesday at Irving Community Center, second floor. For more information, phone the leader at 399-6731.
• Prime Timers meet at JD’s Cafe. Visitation begins at 5:30 p.m. with a buffet dinner at 6. The group will be entertained by the “Red Barn” musicians. Visitors are welcome.
• GriefShare, a weekly video seminar grief support group, is now available for Ada. There are 13 weekly sessions held every Tuesday night from 7-9 p.m. beginning on June 28, 2011 at First Baptist Church of Ada, 521 South Broadway, Room 220. This support group is open to the entire community and to any church affiliation. There is no cost for this program. Optional workbooks are available for $15 but are not required. Contact the First Baptist Church at 332-4121 or the group facillitator, Debbie, at 777-2711 for more information on GriefShare.
• Tickets for a give-away for a John Deere Z445 27 horsepower Zero-turn mower with 48-inch deck and 5-8 Holt trailer with tailgate, valued at $5,700 are on sale through July 16. The mower and trailer are sponsored by Grissoms John Deere of Ada. Ticket cost is $20 each or six for $100. Drawing takes place July 16 at the Stratford Rodeo. Winner need not be present to win. Tickets can be purchased from Stratford Volunteer Firemen; or phone Justin at 580-421-5027 or Jason at 580-310-2510. Money may be taken to Stratford City Hall, in care of the Stratford Fire Departmet, Stratford, OK 74872. Proceeds go to support the Stratford Volunteer Fire Department.
• Gamblers Anonymous meets from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at Shepherd of the Hills Presbyterian Church located 1.4 miles west of Sulphur at State Highway 7 and Shepherd Road. For more information, phone 580-618-4215.
JULY 20, 2011
• The Divorce/Bereavement Support group meets each Wednesday at 7 p.m. at The Compassion Outreach Center, 1124 Cradduck Rd., Ada. The group offers support for those who have lost a loved one through divorce or death. For more information, phone Tom at 580-332-6506.
• A dance is conducted each Wednesday at Irving Community Center, 704 N. Oak, from 7:30-10 p.m. Cost is $6 per person and is open to all ages.
JULY 21, 2011
• Pontotoc County Alcoholics Anonymous group meets at 8 p.m. at Central Church of Christ, 820 Stadium Drive, Ada. Twelve and twelve study night.
JULY 22, 2011
• Al Anon meets at 8 p.m. each Friday at St. Lukes Episcopal Church.
• East Central University is offering Drivers Safety Education and Defensive Driving Courses. Classes are for ages 15 1/2 and older. Participants will receive discounts and rebates on insurance and feel safer when driving. Different class schedules are available. For more information, phone Continuing Education Department at ECU at 580-332-8000.