BYNG — Normally, only a majority is needed to pass any measure, and ordinarily one or two votes don’t make a great deal of difference, but Thursday night’s annual meeting of Rural Water District #Two provided an exception.

Only 13 people came to the March 2 meeting at Byng City Hall to take action on dissolution of Rural Water District 2. The vote was 8-5 in favor of dissolving, but according to guidelines for Rural Water Districts a vote of 75 percent is necessary to pass any measure. The 8-5 vote amounts to 61 percent.

Consequently, another community meeting must be held within the next 30 days, according to Charles Barrick, Byng Mayor and Water Board Chairman. Again, all members of the Water District # 2 will be notified by mail, and action must be taken. The District, was formed in 1965 and Byng signed a 40-year contract for a line to be built from Ada. The community has bought water from the city of Ada during that time.

Now the community has options. One option is to allow the city of Ada to assume responsibility for maintenance of the water line and for selling the water to Byng.  Another option is for the community to take on the responsibility of maintaining the line and for securing water.

The second option is more expensive. Engineer for the District says Byng would need a minimum of 2.5 million in hand to buy the necessary equipment, replace some worn-out line and pay salaries for personnel to operate the water business. The community of Byng has only about $300,000 at present.

A great deal of discussion on both options took place. Board members Tex Seymour, Rick Woodward and Barrick pointed out merits of allowing Ada to assume administration and maintenance of water for Byng.  They admitted that our water bills will be somewhat higher than at present, but “not nearly as high as they would be if we were attempting it on our own.”

At any rate, within the next month Byng water users must make a decision. The contract has expired and action must be taken.  


Last Sunday, we had all our surgery patients up and around and able to attend morning church services at New Bethel. The convalescents included Pat Henley whose new knee was in church for the first time; David Jackson, who had undergone back surgery; Wesley Eidson who was feeling much better following a surgical procedure for kidney stones, and Braden Cooper who was not quite his usual self after an appendectomy only a few days before. Margaret Painter spent a night in Valley View this week following installation of a pacemaker. She says she feels much better now.


Sometimes being involved in volunteer community work can be frustrating, and we’re fortunate when we find dedicated people who go on doing the work they’ve agreed upon despite missing out on things they’d “druther” be doing. Take Bette Cole, for example.  For the past several years she has been involved in the AARP tax service which, for free, does tax returns for people of the area.  In addition to attending classes all day for a week in January, they devote all day Mondays and Thursday mornings in February. In March and until the deadline in April, they work Mondays only.

Bette and her husband, Vestel, had signed up for a bus trip to Independence, Mo., which was first announced for Feb. 28 to March 2. Since Bette knew the AARP group does not work Thursdays in March, she was free and clear for a three-day holiday. Further communication from the tour group changed the dates of the trip to one day earlier — starting Feb. 27.  Oops, that was a Monday and Bette was scheduled to work that day.

Most people, I am sure, would have said, “Hey, I’ve already worked a month of Mondays, and I’ve already paid my money and made my plans for a trip. The team will just have to manage without me.”

Bette, however, is made of more dependable stuff. She stayed home and put in a full day at the AARP tax office. Her co-workers scolded her, saying, “You should have gone on. We could have had so much fun talking about what a no-account you were for leaving all your clients for us to take care of.”

Bette’s husband, Vestel, and her friends, George and Dorothy Milligan, went on the trip and had a very nice time, thank you. We agreed that it was up to us to each have one-third more fun than usual to make up for Bette’s absence, and we did.

Actually, I’m surprised at how many things there are to see and do in Kansas City and in Independence, Mo. The Harry S. Truman museum was interesting and made us understand why that area is so proud of the blunt, plain-talking Truman who became president following the sudden death of Franklin Roosevelt near the end of World War II.  

A special treat during this month was the traveling exhibit of the White House. It is a scale model, one inch to one foot, and everything in it works. Lights turn on and off. TV sets actually work. Every piece of furniture and equipment is true to the original. If a table is made of walnut wood, for example, the model is also walnut. More than 600,000 man-hours went into the making of this authentic model of the White House.

Our tour coach drove through the man-made caves in Kansas City, Mo., which provide valuable warehouse spaces for many of the nation’s businesses. In digging out limestone for road building and other construction projects, builders have left huge pillars of support for warehouse after warehouse. The subterranean rooms provide dry, constant 70 degree air which does not need heat or air conditioning.


We could not have custom ordered better weather than we had for our trek to Missouri, so we were surprised to learn that Ada had set a new record of 95 degrees on the Wednesday we were gone. Contrast that with the low of 20 degrees not even 10 days previously. One thing you have to credit Oklahoma weather for is its variety.  

This Week's Circulars