Area briefs are for non-profit events and organizations. Briefs must be submitted at least five days before the event by bringing them into the office, emailing them to email@example.com or faxing them to 580-332-8841. Briefs will not be accepted over the telephone. Church-related briefs are published only on Friday’s religion page. All activities may be subject to change due to weather conditions.
FEBRUARY 15, 2013
• Pontotoc County Retired Educators Association (PCREA) meets at 11 a.m. at Ada Elks Lodge for its regular monthly meeting and noon luncheon. The program consists of Roderick Ford from the state office explaining “The Benefits Available to OREA members.”
• Chickasaw Nation Medical Center hosts a blood drive from 10 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. at 1921 Stonecipher Boulevard in Ada. Although all blood types are needed to maintain Oklahoma Blood Institute’s typical three-day supply, those with O-negative type blood are especially encouraged to donate. According to the American Association of Blood Banks, those with O-negative blood type make up only nine percent of the national population. However, O-negative blood can be used by anyone in an emergency situation, regardless of their type. Appointments to donate are not required but are available by phoning 877-340-8777 or visiting www.obi.org.
• Al-Anon meets at 8 p.m. each Friday at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church.
FEBRUARY 16, 2013
• Mary’s Music Barn presents traditional country music, featuring Country Pride Band with special guest, the third Saturday of each month. Mary’s Music Barn is located three and one-half miles south of Stonewall on Jesse Highway. Turn right on McDonald Road. Show starts at 7 p.m. For more information, phone 580-272-7816 or 580-265-9206; or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Full Gospel Assembly Church at Tupelo has cancelled its third Saturday night singing until further notice.
• Ada Youth Soccer signup is currently open for children ages 4 and older. Register online at www.bgcada.com. Look under the sports programs' link or spring soccer 2013. Adult leagues are available as well. For more information, email email@example.com.
FEBRUARY 18, 2013
• All non-emergency offices at the city of Ada will be closed in observance of the Presidents’ Day holiday. All city of Ada offices will reopen for regular hours Tuesday, Feb. 19. Ada City Council will meet at 5:45 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 19, at Ada City Hall. Garbage collection will continue as scheduled.