Area briefs are for non-profit events and organizations. Briefs must be submitted at least five days before the event by bringing them into the office, emailing them to email@example.com or faxing them to 580-332-8841. Briefs will not be accepted over the telephone. Church-related briefs are published only on Friday’s religion page. All activities may be subject to change due to weather conditions.
JULY 31, 2013
• Emotions Anonymous is meeting every Wednesday from noon until 1 p.m. at Central Church of Christ, 820 Stadium Drive. For more information, phone Kristina at (580) 279-4870.
• Divorce/Bereavement Support Group meets each Wednesday at 7 p.m. at The Compassion Outreach Center, 1124 Cradduck Road, Ada. This group offers support for those who have lost a loved one through divorce or death. For more information, phone Tom at 580-332-6506.
• A dance is conducted each Wednesday at Irving Community Center, 704 N. Oak, from 7:30-9:30 p.m. Cost is $5 per person and is open to the public.
AUGUST 1, 2013
• Ada Chickasaw Senior Center hosts an Indian taco sale at 1005 Chamber Loop. Pie auction begins at 5:30 p.m., with Dr. John Garber as auctioneer. Entertainment will be provided by Red Barn Band. Cost is $7 for taco, dessert and drink. For delivery of two more dinners phone 436-1007.
• Athletes at Vanoss Public Schools in grades 5-12 will be given physicals Aug. 1 in the school cafeteria between the hours of 3:30-6:30 p.m. Cost is $15 each. (Payment must be made in cash.) Students will need a signed physical form granting parent permission, which may be picked up from his or her coach or signed when the student arrives for the physical.
• Ada Rubber Art Stamp Club meets at 6:30 p.m. at Scraptopia, 107 W. Main St. Newcomers are always welcome. There are no fees, and you do not need to bring anything with you in order to participate. The club meets the first Thursday of each month. For more information, phone 580-310-9787.
• NAMI (National Alliance for Mental Illness) meets the first Thursday of each month at 7 p.m. in the conference room next to the dining room at Valley View Regional Hospital.
• South Central Oklahoma Lupus Support Group meets the first Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at Main Street Church of Christ, 408 East Main Street, Davis. The meetings are open to all persons with lupus. Those who have a loved one or friend with lupus, or anyone who would like to learn more about lupus may contact Vickey Wiles at 580-247-0980 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information regarding lupus, contact the Lupus Foundation of America, Oklahoma Chapter at 1-800-725-6445 or online at lupus.org.
AUGUST 3, 2013
• American Legion Post 72 hosts bingo each Saturday night. Mini games begin at 6 p.m., and regular bingo begins at 7 p.m. Snack bar items are available.
• Ada Community School, 708 E. Main, Suite B, hosts an open house from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. for students in grades 5-12. For more information, phone 580-759-6506.
• Compassion Outreach Center is having a back-to-school clothing give-away from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. at The Compassion Outreach Center, 1124 Cradduck Road, Ada.
• Lost Cherokee of Arkansas and Missouri Headmen Cliff Bishop, Curtis Smith and Don Harness and Councilman Morris Chiles conduct a meeting at noon at Allen Masonic Lodge. This a food auction only. Bring dry goods, baked goods, jellies, fresh veggies or new potatoes. There will also be a language class.
AUGUST 4, 2013
• Boys & Girls Club of Ada youth fall soccer registration is now open. Please go to http://www.bgcada.com/ to register or visit the BGCA at 915 S. Hickory. For more information call (580)332-3717.
• National Association of Active and Retired Federal Employees (NARFE) chapter 758 meets at 11:30 a.m. at Mercy Hospital of Ada (formerly Valley View Regional Hospital) in the cafeteria conference room. For more information, phone Kenneth Roberts at 580-279-6724 for more information.
AUGUST 5, 2013
• TOPS, Take Off Pounds Sensibly, a support weight loss group, meets at 8:30 a.m. each Monday at Central Church of Christ, 820 Stadium Drive. For more information, phone 580-320-0747.
• Emotions Anonymous is meeting every Monday from noon until 1 p.m. at Central Church of Christ, 820 Stadium Drive. For more information, call Kristina at (580) 279-4870.