The East Central University men’s tennis team earned an 8-1 win over Colorado Pueblo in the final match of the Cameron Quad at the Streich-Henry Family Tennis Complex.
The Tigers (2-4) earned all three doubles wins and all but the No. 2 singles. Sophomore Marc Fillat earned a 6-2, 6-0 win at No. 4 singles over Alexandro Moncayo and combined with sophomore Max DeJuan for an 8-5 win at No. 2 singles over Anthony Breinterbach and Shane Nicholls.
Senior Stefan Stein defeated Alex Lesiuk 6-3, 6-3 at No. 1 singles. Junior Julian Caminos earned a 6-2, 6-3 win over Anthony Breinterbach at No. 3 singles. Sophomore Nate Kipping claimed a 4-6, 6-0, 12-10 win over Tom Chavez at No. 5 singles and junior Andrew Cabato played his first action in singles for the season and earned a 7-5, 6-2 win over Shane Nicholls at No. 6 singles.
Caminos and sophomore Victor Blasco earned a point for ECU at No. 1 doubles, defeating Saul Shrom and Lesiuk, 8-4. The final point came from Stein and Cabato at No. 3 doubles, who defeated Chaves and Moncayo 8-3.
The Tigers will now be idle until March 11 when they travel to play St. Mary’s in Dallas, Texas.
ECU 8, Colorado Pueblo 1
1. Stefan Stein vs. Alex Lesiuk, ECU 6-3, 6-3
2. Max DeJuan vs. Saul Shrom, CSU 6-2, 7-6(7-5)
3. Julian Caminos vs. Anthony Breinterbach, ECU 6-2, 6-3
4. Marc Fillat vs. Alexandro Moncayo, ECU 6-2, 6-0
5. Nate Kipping vs. Tom Chavez, ECU 4-6, 6-0, 12-10
6. Andrew Cabato vs. Shane Nicholls, ECU 7-5, 6-2
1. Caminos/Blasco vs. Shrom/Lesiuk, ECU 8-4
2. DeJuan/Fillat vs. Breinterbach/Nicholls, ECU 8-5
3. Stein/Cabato vs. Chavez/Moncayo, ECU 8-3