And then there were the ladies and coach Bill Johnson that won the 1975 state championship. Those fine folks were recognized at halftime of the girls game.
Most of the Latta board members were present and even former board member and longtime Latta supporter Wayne McElhannon spoke for a bit.
There were girls and boys firsts:
• Latta junior Krisha Young made the first two-point basket and 3-point shot in the first girls varsity game in the new gym.
• Byng sophomore Kendall Fike sank the first free throw.
• Byng senior Reid Wall hit the first two-point shot in a boys varsity game.
• Byng senior Joe Nemecek sank the first free throw.
• Byng senior Jacob Birdshead swished the first 3-point shot in a boys game.
I tried to be the first person in the new gym’s hospitality room, but alas I wasn’t even close. Even former Tupelo girls basketball coach and current Latta junior high coach Missy Rogers beat me.
Latta Athletic Director Terry Painter, one of many who has had a high level of stress leading up to Tuesday night’s festivities, finally got a good night’s sleep.
No doubt a good time was had by all.
Latta’s next home game is Feb. 11 when another local rival, the Lady Tigers and Tigers of Roff visit.