theadanews.com - Ada, Oklahoma

Local News

May 17, 2013

Trinity celebrates 75 years of ministry

Ada —

Trinity Baptist Church was born May 1, 1938,  as a result of a three-week tent revival. The following month, five men secured a loan to purchase property and construct a sanctuary at 601 E. 10th Street.

This group of believers desired for the church to be a “house of prayer and a soul-winning station” that would spread the gospel of Jesus Christ, according to David Gray,  associate pastor.

During the late 1940s and early 1950s, Trinity Baptist Church built, and later expanded, the educational space and purchased the property west of Turner street for parking as the membership grew to more than 600 with an average Sunday school attendance of 175. 

In June 1987, during the “Reaching for Tomorrow” campaign, church members witnessed construction of the new auditorium. The old sanctuary was converted to a fellowship area, later to “Kid’s Town,” and most recently to the Connection Center (2012). 

During the 1990s Trinity Baptist Church purchased more property to accommodate the continued growth. The lots behind the old  Ada Typewriter building were purchased for parking in 1990. Then, in 1993 the old Evangelistic Temple gym was purchased, which is now The Refuge, which houses Trinity's youth for several weekly activities.  

Beginning in 2005, Trinity Baptist Church saw another explosion of expansion.  The Ada Typewriter building was purchased (North Annex) as well as property at 519 E. 9th Street. Further, the Fellowship Center was completed for education and church fellowships. The Source building at 730 E. Main was purchased in February 2006 and is utilized daily by East Central University students as well as the community.

In September 2008, the property located at 520 E. Main was purchased to be renovated for office space. Also in 2008, the church purchased a small cabin at Falls Creek and a large cabin in August 2011. 

Over the past 75 years, Trinity has had 11 pastors, including its current pastor, Rusty Fuller, who has served faithfully since June 1984. The church still remains at its original location but has extended the boundaries of our campus to include seven buildings plus three parking lots. The current membership is at 1200 with an average Sunday attendance of 750.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News
AP Video
Raw: Gunmen Attack Iraqi Prison Convoy Plane Leaves Ukraine With More Crash Victims The Rock Brings Star Power to Premiere Raw: Families Travel to Taiwan Plane Crash Site Arizona Execution Takes Almost Two Hours Gen. Odierno Discusses Ukraine, NATO at Forum Gaza Fighting Rages Amid Cease-Fire Efforts Mint Gives JFK Coin a Face-lift Creative Makeovers for Ugly Cellphone Towers Ariz. Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution Began Crash Kills Teen Pilot Seeking World Record LeBron James Sends Apology Treat to Neighbors Raw: Funeral for Man Who Died in NYPD Custody Migrants Back in Honduras After US Deports Israeli American Reservist Torn Over Return
Stocks
Poll

Who do you blame more for the trouble in Gaza?

The Israelis
Hamas
     View Results