By Art Lawler
ADA — The Pontotoc County Commission voted unanimously Monday to grant ownership of certain Ada roads to the city of Ada by deeming them city streets.
The roads have been maintained in the past by the county, but the city will take over maintenance of the roads thanks to a county resolution.
“Whereas the Pontotoc County Board of Commissioners grant ownership of the following county roads, which lie within or adjacent to the city of Ada be deemed “city streets”. Therefore, the following said roads (including easements) will be considered property of the city of Ada.”
There was little discussion on the transfer with Ada City Attorney Frank Stout representing the city, and the three commissioners voting 3-0 to approve an earlier city of Ada petition to the county for annexation of property.
In the agreement, the county passed a resolution last year agreeing to the following transfers:
• Intersection of Western Street and Main Street, to the intersection of Western Street and 14th Street (approximately 0.2 mile).
• Intersection of 14th Street and Western Street to the intersection of 14th and Latta Road (approximately 0.2 mile).
• Intersection of Oak Street and Kings Road; to the intersection of Oak Street and 33rd Street.
• Intersection of 32nd St. and Oak Street to intersection of 32nd Street and Kerr Lab Road (approximately 0.3 miles);
• Intersection of 33rd Street and Kerr Lab, to the intersection of 32nd Street and SH 99S.
• Intersection of 33rd Street and Kerr Lab Road, to the conclusion of 33rd Street (approximately 0.5 mile);
• Intersection of 32nd Street and Blakeway Drive, to the conclusion of Richardson Drive.
• Eastern portion of Kerr Research Drive to the intersection of Kerr Research Drive and Stonecipher (0.7) mile.
In all, the annexation will put 5.2 miles of county roads into the city limits of Ada.
The quick 20-minute meeting also resulted in the county agreeing to qualify Houston Jack Wells to occupy a home built with OHFA (Oklahoma Home Finance Agency) grant money. Wells’ name was transferred to the deed with the passing of the man’s mother.
The county took no action on the backhoe, which District 3 Commissioner Justin Roberts is looking to possibly purchase for his district. Roberts is trying out a newer John Deere backhoe to see if it’s the one he wants for his district.
By Art Lawler
- Local News
3/8/2014 Pontotoc County warrants, arrests
County warrants and arrests
Ada firefighter Danny Manuel wants to be the top Ninja warrior on NBC’s popular American Ninja Warrior television show.
He is anxiously awaiting word on whether he has been selected as one of the contestants for this year’s show.
He went through this same process last year but was never contacted.
Just like Charlie Brown on the mound in a rainstorm, Manuel keeps training and hoping for the best, even when nobody’s watching.
In the meantime, Manuel, who turns 40 this month, is preparing as if he’ll get the call for what promises to be another strenuous competition in 2014.
March 7, 2014
March 7, 2014
Honoring Chris Lane
One by one, they stopped playing or coaching and walked past the media to talk about Chris Lane.
Guess you could say he was on everybody’s mind Wednesday, especially the 40 or so players from Redlands Community College and East Central University.
- 3/6 Police Reports
Raw Video: House Fire in 7600 Block SH3W
Area firefighters work to extinguish a blaze in the 7600 block of State Highway 3W Wednesday, March 5, 2014.
Mercy co-workers have a new look
If you’ve visited Mercy Hospital or a Mercy Clinic in Ada since January 1, you might have noticed something new. Mercy Ada co-workers rolled out M-Wear, Mercy’s apparel program, at the beginning of this year.
Ada Library to hold spring used book sale
The Ada Public Library will kick off the Spring Used Book Sale on Tuesday, March 11, with a preview sale for Ada Library Friends members from 6:30 p.m. until 8:30 p.m.
Fun Country Special Olympics Art Competition and Music Festival held in Ada
The Fun Country Special Olympics Art Competition and Music Festival was held on Tuesday, Feb. 25, in the Ada Cougar Activity Center.
- More Local News Headlines
- 3/8/2014 Pontotoc County warrants, arrests