By Randy Mitchell
ADA — There’s a new church opening in Ada and it has a western theme.
The Cowboy Church is the creation of Jimmy and Midge Jones. The Joneses are husband and wife pastors who’ve been preaching the gospel of Christ for more than 40 years.
Jimmy and Midge were also involved in the rodeo business during some of that time.
“For about 10 years, my wife and I produced rodeos and bull rides,” Jimmy Jones said.
“We had them in Ada, Konawa, Wanette ... all the way from Rush Springs to Okemah.”
Jimmy Jones said they decided to devote more of their time to preaching.
“We put (rodeos) on weekly for young people and we were always preaching Christ at rodeos and bull rides,” Jimmy Jones said.
“About two years ago I felt impressed to leave the rodeo and start doing more church work.”
The Joneses also have a church in Purcell where they both preach and hope to open two more in the future.
“Right now, Ada’s our concentration,” Jimmy Jones said.
The Cowboy Church is located at 1827 N. Broadway just north of the Agri-Plex. The church is non-denominational, interfaith and no traditions of man, Jones said.
“We came in to help the existing churches,” he said.
“We’re not trying to take anything away from what they’re already doing, but we feel like God would have us reach whoever we’re going to reach.”
Services are Sunday at 11 a.m. and Tuesday evening at 7 p.m.
By Randy Mitchell
- Local News
Voter registration deadline is Aug. 1 for runoff primary election
Voters have until Friday, Aug. 1, to register to vote in the Aug. 26 runoff primary election, Oklahoma State Election Board Secretary Paul Ziriax said.
- Medicine Stone: A celebration of red dirt music Sept. 11-13
- 13-year-old's leg nearly severed in ATV accident on county road
- Chickasaw Nation to host RX Summit
10 Things to Know for Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
- Boy severely injured in wreck
- Prisons expand their reach to train new officers
- Disabled veteran helps others succeed in career goals through Veterans Upward Bound at ECU
- Two suspects who eluded police in stolen Jeep are captured and jailed
Ada’s National Night Out set for Tuesday, Aug. 5
The Chickasaw Nation, the city of Ada and East Central University will present National Night Out from 6-9 p.m., Tuesday, Aug. 5, on the East Central University campus mall area.
- More Local News Headlines
- Voter registration deadline is Aug. 1 for runoff primary election