Area briefs are for non-profit events and organizations. Briefs must be submitted at least five days before the event by bringing them into the office, emailing them to email@example.com or faxing them to 580-332-8841. Briefs will not be accepted over the telephone. Church-related briefs are published only on Friday’s religion page. All activities may be subject to change due to weather conditions.
SEPTEMBER 1 LABOR DAY
• The Ada News will be closed Labor Day. Business offices will re-open Tuesday at 8 a.m.
• Pontotoc County Conservation District is selling 2012 plat books at a reduced price. These books come in handy when trying to locate specific property or identify ownership. Books only show ownership in
Pontotoc County and are on sale for $35 plus tax. For more information contact: Pontotoc County Conservation District, 1328 Cradduck Road, Ada, OK 74820 or phone 580-332-7979 extension 101.
• TOPS, Take Off Pounds Sensibly, a support weight loss group, meets at 8:30 a.m. each Monday at Central Church of Christ, 820 Stadium Drive. For more information, phone 580-320-0747.
• Emotions Anonymous is meeting every Monday from 12 noon until 1 p.m. at Central Church of Christ, 820 Stadium Drive. For more information call Kristina at (580) 279-4870.
• Circle Time of Ada, an autism parent group, meets the first Tuesday of each month at 6 p.m. in the old Glenwood School. Enter at the West double door. For more information, phone Jennifer Balliett, group leader, at 580-235-2731. or visit www.circletimeofada.com or Facebook.
• Ada Shrine Club meets the first Tuesday of each month at J.D.’s Cafe. Meal is at 6 p.m. and the meeting is at 7 p.m. All Shriners are welcome and encouraged to attend.
• Al-Anon meets at 8 p.m. each Tuesday at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church.
• Emotions Anonymous is meeting every Wednesday from 12 noon until 1 p.m. at Central Church of Christ, 820 Stadium Drive. For more information, phone Kristina at (580) 279-4870.
• Divorce/Bereavement Support Group meets each Wednesday at 7 p.m. at The Compassion Outreach Center, 1124 Cradduck Road, Ada. This group offers support for those who have lost a loved one through divorce or death. For more information, phone Tom at 580-332-6506.
• A dance is conducted each Wednesday at Irving Community Center, 704 N. Oak, from 7:30-9:30 p.m. Cost is $5 per person and is open to the public.
• PAST organization meets at the First Christian Church, Ada, at 5:30 p.m. The meeting is open to anyone interested in helping preserve the area’s history.
• A meeting of the Board of Directors for the Tri-County Indian Nations Community Development Corporation will be held at 10 a.m. at the new Vision Bank conference room, 1901 Arlington, Ada. This meeting is open to the public and participation is encouraged. For more information, contact Carolyn Hill, (580) 310-9300.
• An Indian taco sale takes place from 4-7 p.m. at the Ada Chickasaw Senior Site, 1005 Chamber Loop. A pie auction begins at 5:30 p.m. Auctioneer is Dr. John Garber. Entertainment provided by Red Barn Band. Cost is $7 for taco, dessert and drink. For deliveries of two or more tacos, phone 436-1007.
• Ada Rubber Art Stamp Club meets at 6:30 p.m. at Scraptopia, 107 W. Main Street. Newcomers are always welcome. There are no fees and you do not need to bring anything with you in order to participate. The club meets the first Thursday of each month. For more information, phone 580-310-9787.