Area briefs are for non-profit events and organizations. Briefs must be submitted at least five days before the event by bringing them into the office, emailing them to email@example.com or faxing them to 580-332-8841. Briefs will not be accepted over the telephone. Church-related briefs are published only on Friday’s religion page. All activities may be subject to change due to weather conditions.
MARCH 15, 2013
• Pontotoc County Retired Educators Association (PCREA) meets at 11 a.m. at Ada Elks Lodge for its regular monthly meeting and noon luncheon. The program will be presented by Lorie Robins, Chickasaw Nation Arts and Humanities.
• Al-Anon meets at 8 p.m. each Friday at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church.
• Vanoss Elementary School conducts pre-kindergarten pre-enrollment from 7:45 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. in the Vanoss School library. Students who are 4 years old by Sept. 1 are eligible for enrollment in the pre-k program. All students who are pre-enrolling will be given an academic readiness screening, in addition to a hearing screening. Speech screenings may be available by request. Those who wish to enroll their children must take the child’s Social Security card, birth certificate, shot record, proof of residence and CDIB card, if applicable.
MARCH 16, 2013
• Mary’s Music Barn presents traditional country music, featuring Country Pride Band with special guest, the third Saturday of each month. Mary’s Music Barn is located three and one-half miles south of Stonewall on Jesse Highway. Turn right on McDonald Road. Show starts at 7 p.m. For more information, phone 580-272-7816 or 580-265-9206bor email firstname.lastname@example.org
MARCH 17, 2013
• Save the date — Lady Outlaws 10 and Under Softball Team hosts a Dice Run on Saturday, April 6. Cost is $20 to enter and $5 for each passenger. Cars are welcome. The winner will win 40 percent of entry fees. Registration will be at the Stonewall High School baseball field starting at 10 a.m. There will also be a bake sale, T-shirt sale, 50/50 ticket sale (winner to be drawn at the dice run; you do not need to be present to win). A barbecue sandwich lunch will be available for $5 a plate. The meal includes sandwich, chips and a drink. For more information, contact Amber Frazier at 580-320-8159.
MARCH 18, 2013
• TOPS, Take Off Pounds Sensibly, a support weight loss group, meets at 8:30 a.m. each Monday at Central Church of Christ, 820 Stadium Drive. For more information, phone 580-320-0747.
• Emotions Anonymous is meeting every Monday from 12 noon until 1 p.m. at Central Church of Christ, 820 Stadium Drive. For more information, phone Kristina at 580-279-4870.
• FREE tax help and FREE e-filing offered Mondays through April 8 by AARP Tax-Aide at the Masonic Lodge Hall, 730 Crestview. All ages are welcome. For appointment, phone 580-332-3882.
MARCH 19, 2013
• A new GriefShare Group begins at First Baptist Church of Ada, 521 S. Broadway. The sessions are from 7-9 p.m. Contact Debbie Wall at 580-777-2711 or FBC of Ada at 580-332-4121 for more information.
• Al-Anon meets at 8 p.m. each Tuesday at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church.
MARCH 20, 2013
• Emotions Anonymous is meeting every Wednesday from 12 noon until 1 p.m. at Central Church of Christ, 820 Stadium Drive. For more information, phone Kristina at 580-279-4870.
• Divorce/Bereavement Support Group meets each Wednesday at 7 p.m. at The Compassion Outreach Center, 1124 Cradduck Road, Ada. For more information, phone Tom at 580-332-6506.
• A dance is conducted each Wednesday at Irving Community Center, 704 N. Oak, from 7:30-9:30 p.m. Cost is $6 per person and is open to the public.
MARCH 21, 2013
• Bread of Life Ministry, hosted by Ada First Baptist Church, feeds the hungry in the Ada community from 5:3-6:30 p.m. Thursday, March 21, in the church dining room, 521 S. Broadway Ave.
This meal is offered to those in need in the community. Anyone who needs a hot meal is welcome.