Area briefs are for non-profit events and organizations. Briefs must be submitted at least five days before the event by bringing them into the office, emailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxing them to 580-332-8841. Briefs will not be accepted over the telephone. Church-related briefs are published only on Friday’s religion page. All activities may be subject to change due to weather conditions.
AUGUST 3, 2013
• American Legion Post 72 hosts bingo each Saturday night. Mini games begin at 6 p.m. and regular bingo begins at 7 p.m. Snack bar items are available.
• Ada Community School, 708 E. Main, Suite B, hosts an open house from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. for students in grades 5-12. For more information, phone 580-759-6506.
• Compassion Outreach Center is having a back-to-school clothing give-away from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. at The Compassion Outreach Center, 1124 Cradduck Road, Ada.
• Lost Cherokee of Arkansas and Missouri Headmen Cliff Bishop, Curtis Smith and Don Harness and Councilman Morris Chiles conduct a meeting at noon at Allen Masonic Lodge. This is a food auction only. Bring dry goods, baked goods, jellies, fresh veggies or new potatoes. There will also be a language class.
AUGUST 4, 2013
• Boys & Girls Club of Ada youth fall soccer registration is now open. Go to http://www.bgcada.com/ to register or visit the BGCA at 915 South Hickory. For more information , call (580) 332-3717.
• National Association of Active and Retired Federal Employees (NARFE) chapter 758 meets at 11:30 a.m. at Mercy Hospital of Ada (formerly Valley View Regional Hospital) in the cafeteria conference room. For more information, phone Kenneth Roberts at 580-279-6724 for more information.
AUGUST 5, 2013
• Donations to Abba’s Tables can be made at the St. Joseph/Mercy Hospital Golf Tournament, Monday, Aug. 5 at Oak Hills Country Club and at the luncheon following the tournament at St. Joseph Catholic Church, 1300 East Beverly. A pick-up will be provided by Mid-America Auto Group, (formerly Service Auto Mall) to receive the donations.
Items needed are No. 10 cans of vegetables, fruits, cheese sauce, Hormel chili, chocolate and vanilla puddings.
Abba’s Tables has been in operation at 9th & Oak since May 1 serving meals to those in need. Meals are served Monday through Saturdays at 5:30 p.m.
• TOPS, Take Off Pounds Sensibly, a support weight loss group, meets at 8:30 a.m. each Monday at Central Church of Christ, 820 Stadium Drive. For more information, phone 580-320-0747.
• Emotions Anonymous is meeting every Monday from 12 noon until 1 p.m. at Central Church of Christ, 820 Stadium Drive. For more information call Kristina at (580) 279-4870.
AUGUST 6, 2013
• A meeting of the board of directors for Tri-County Indian Nations Community Development Corporation will be held at 10 a.m. at Murray State College, Conference Room 211, in the administration building, One Murray Campus, Tishomingo. This meeting is open to the public and their participate is encouraged. For more information, phone Carolyn Hill at (580) 310-9300.
• Ada Artists Association’s August’s featured artist of the month is Kody Wilson. A reception will be 4:30-6:30 p.m. at Karen’s Art and Framing, 108 E. Main.
• Circle Time of Ada, an autism parent group, meets the first Tuesday of each month at 6 p.m. in the old Glenwood School. Enter at the west double door. For more information, phone Jennifer Balliett, group leader, at 580-235-2731. or visit www.circletimeofada.com or Facebook.
• Ada Shrine Club meets the first Tuesday of each month at J.D.’s Cafe. Meal is at 6 p.m. and the meeting is at 7 p.m. All Shriners are welcome and encouraged to attend. .
• Chickasaw Nation and East Central University have teamed up once again to host National Night Out, a nationwide crime and drug prevention event designed to heighten awareness and strengthen participation in local anticrime efforts and to strengthen neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships. The event takes place at East Central University. For more information or to participate by providing an activity booth or demonstration, contact Kevin Tiger at (580) 272-5716 or email@example.com.
• Al-Anon meets at 8 p.m. each Tuesday at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church.
AUGUST 7, 2013
• Emotions Anonymous is meeting every Wednesday from 12 noon until 1 p.m. at Central Church of Christ, 820 Stadium Drive. For more information, phone Kristina at (580) 279-4870.
• Divorce/Bereavement Support Group meets each Wednesday at 7 p.m. at The Compassion Outreach Center, 1124 Cradduck Road, Ada. This group offers support for those who have lost a loved one through divorce or death. For more information, phone Tom at 580-332-6506.
• A dance is conducted each Wednesday at Irving Community Center, 704 N. Oak, from 7:30-9:30 p.m. Cost is $5 per person and is open to the public.