Area briefs are for non-profit events and organizations. Briefs must be submitted at least five days before the event by bringing them into the office, emailing them to email@example.com or faxing them to 580-332-8841. Briefs will not be accepted over the telephone. Church-related briefs are published only on Friday’s religion page. All activities may be subject to change due to weather conditions.
MAY 2, 2013
• The PAST organization will meet at 5:30 p.m. May 2 at First Christian Church, 13th and Broadway, in Ada. Anyone interested in the area’s past is invited to attend.
• South Central Oklahoma Lupus Support Group meets the first Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at Main Street Church of Christ, 408 East Main Street, Davis. These meetings are open to all persons with lupus, those who have a loved one or friend with lupus, or anyone who would like to learn more about the meetings, contact Vickey Wiles at 580-247-0980 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information regarding lupus, contact the Lupus Foundation of America, Oklahoma Chapter at 1-800-725-6445 or online at lupus.org.
• An Indian taco sale is from 4-7 p.m. at the Ada Senior site, 1005 Chamber Loop. Cost of taco, drink and dessert is $7. Entertainment will be provided by Red Barn Band. Pie auction starts at 5:30 p.m. with guest auctioneer Dr. Megan Slate. Deliveries of at least two orders will be made (depending on distance.) For more information or to place an order, phone 436-1007.
MAY 3, 2013
• Swirls and Pearls for the Girls, a benefit for Girl Scouts of Eastern Oklahoma, will be held from 6-8 p.m. at Westminster Fellowship Hall, First Presbyterian Church. Honorary chair for the evening is state Sen. Susan Paddack. The event features hors d’oeuvres, wine tasting, and displays of vintage Girl Scout uniforms and memorabilia. Attendees may register with the Girl Scout Alumnae Group and view pictures of local Girl Scout events and council camping facilities. Tickets are $25 and may be purchased at the door or from Gem Jewelers.
• A fish fry to benefit the upkeep of Jesse Cemetery is 5 p.m. at Stonewall Multi-purpose Building. Donations will be accepted.
MAY 4, 2013
• Lost Cherokee of Arkansas and Missouri Headmen Don Harness, Cliff Bishop and Curtis Smith and councilman Morse Chiles are conducting a meeting at noon at Allen Masonic Lodge. It is spring time. Bring plants, tools, seeds, baked goods, canned goods, dry goods and other items for the auction.
• A reunion of members and former members of the 701 First Personnel Reserve Service Co. takes place at 700 N. Mississippi (across from the Chickasaw National Headquarters), beginning at noon May 4. For more information, phone 580-436-7150. Coffee and doughnuts will be served.
MAY 6, 2013
• TOPS, Take Off Pounds Sensibly, a support weight loss group, meets at 8:30 a.m. each Monday at Central Church of Christ, 820 Stadium Drive. For more information, phone 580-320-0747.
• Oklahoma Blood Institute (OBI) is partnering with Vision Bank to host a blood drive from 8 a.m. to noon at the main bank and 2:30 to 5:30 p.m. at the Arlington branch.
• Emotions Anonymous is meeting every Monday from 12 noon until 1 p.m. at Central Church of Christ, 820 Stadium Drive. For more information phone Kristina at (580) 279-4870.
MAY 7, 2013
• Circle Time of Ada, an autism parent group, meets the first Tuesday of each month at 6 p.m. in the old Glenwood School. Enter at the west double door. For more information, phone Jennifer Balliett, group leader, at 580-235-2731 or visit www.circletimeofada.com or Facebook.
• Ada Shrine Club meets the first Tuesday of each month at J.D.’s Cafe. Meal is at 6 p.m. and the meeting is at 7 p.m. All Shriners are welcomea nd encouraged to attend.
• Al-Anon meets at 8 p.m. each Tuesday at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church.
• A new GriefShare Group will begin Tuesday, May 7, 2013. The sessions will be held at the Ada First Free Will Baptist Church Family Life Center (15th & Ash) from 1-2:30 p.m. For more information, contact the church office at 332-3119, Joyce at 332-6138, or Wilma at 436-5317.
MAY 8, 2013
• Single Moms support group (S.M.I.L.E. Single Mom’s: Insightful, Loved, Empowered) meets the second and fourth Wednesday of each month at 6 p.m. at The Perfect Blend Coffee Shop, 730 E. Main. Dinner is provided and childcare is available at Trinity Baptist Church. For more information, phone Tisha at 580-759-5260.
• Emotions Anonymous is meeting every Wednesday from 12 noon until 1 p.m. at Central Church of Christ, 820 Stadium Drive. For more information, phone Kristina at (580) 279-4870.
• Divorce/Bereavement Support Group meets each Wednesday at 7 p.m. at The Compassion Outreach Center, 1124 Cradduck Road, Ada. This group offers support for those who have lost a loved one through divorce or death. For more information, phone Tom at 580-332-6506.
• A dance is conducted each Wednesday at Irving Community Center, 704 N. Oak, from 7:30-9:30 p.m. Cost is $6 per person and is open to the public.