Area briefs are for non-profit events and organizations. Briefs must be submitted at least five days before the event by bringing them into the office, emailing them to email@example.com or faxing them to 580-332-8841. Briefs will not be accepted over the telephone. Church-related briefs are published only on Friday’s religion page. All activities may be subject to change due to weather conditions.
MAY 3, 2013
• Swirls and Pearls for the Girls, a benefit for Girl Scouts of Eastern Oklahoma, will be held from 6-8 p.m. at Westminster Fellowship Hall, First Presbyterian Church. Honorary chair for the evening is state Sen. Susan Paddack. The event features hors d’oeuvres, wine tasting, and displays of vintage Girl Scout uniforms and memorabilia. Attendees may register with the Girl Scout Alumnae Group and view pictures of local Girl Scout events and council camping facilities. Tickets are $25 and may be purchased at the door or from Gem Jewelers.
• A fish fry to benefit the upkeep of Jesse Cemetery is 5 p.m. at Stonewall Multi-purpose Building. Donations will be accepted.
MAY 4, 2013
• Lost Cherokee of Arkansas and Missouri Headmen Don Harness, Cliff Bishop and Curtis Smith and councilman Morse Chiles are conducting a meeting at noon at Allen Masonic Lodge. It is spring time. Bring plants, tools, seeds, baked goods, canned goods, dry goods and other items for the auction.
• A reunion of members and former members of the 701 First Personnel Reserve Service Co. takes place at 700 N. Mississippi (across from the Chickasaw National Headquarters), beginning at noon May 4. For more information, phone 580-436-7150. Coffee and doughnuts will be served.
MAY 6, 2013
• TOPS, Take Off Pounds Sensibly, a support weight loss group, meets at 8:30 a.m. each Monday at Central Church of Christ, 820 Stadium Drive. For more information, phone 580-320-0747.
• Oklahoma Blood Institute (OBI) is partnering with Vision Bank to host a blood drive from 8 a.m. to noon at the main bank and 2:30 to 5:30 p.m. at the Arlington branch.