Ada — Area briefs are for non-profit events and organizations. Briefs must be submitted at least five days before the event by bringing them into the office, emailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxing them to 580-332-8841. Briefs will not be accepted over the telephone. Church-related briefs are published only on Friday’s religion page. All activities may be subject to change due to weather conditions.
APRIL 11, 2014
• Pontotoc County Retired Educators Association will meet at 11 a.m. April 11 at Ada Elks Lodge for its regular monthly meeting and noon luncheon. Norman Cooper, executive director of Oklahoma Retired Educators Association will speak and PCREA officers will be installed. All retired educators and support personnel are encouraged to attend.
• Miller Art Studio will be having a spring art show from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the upstairs large meeting room at the Ada Public Library. The show will feature artwork of 25 students in pre-kindergarten through ninth grades. The show will be judged by Dr. Brad Jessop and the East Central University art for secondary teachers students. Awards will be presented at 6:30 p.m.
• Ada Recycling Coalition is sponsoring its 16th annual telphone book collection contest for the Pontotoc County area. ARC will give the winning classroom (minimum of 100 phone books) at each participating school money for a pizza party. ARC will also give $150 to the school that collects the most phone books. Students should take phone books to their participating schools through April 11. For more information, call 436-8100 or email email@example.com.
• Al-Anon meets at 8 p.m. each Friday at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church.
APRIL 12, 2014
• New Horizons Workshop presents The Wiskey Bent Band at 7 p.m. at Pontotoc County Agri-Plex. Tickets are $30 for a family of five (advance only), $15 for an adult at the door or $10 in advance and $5 per child 6-12 years of age. For tickets and more information, call 580-235-0101.
• A bake sale will be held at Ada Walmart beginning at 8 a.m. The sale is a fundraiser for Pontotoc County’s Relay for Life and the American Cancer Society.
• The Lost Cherokee of Arkansas and Missouri Headman Don Harness will hold a meeting April 12 at noon at the Masonic Lodge in Allen. A benefit auction will be held. Attendees are encouraged to bring food items, cakes, pie, jelly, dried goods or anything washable.
• American Legion Post 72 hosts bingo each Saturday night. Mini games begin at 6 p.m. and regular bingo begins at 7 p.m. Snack bar items are available.
APRIL 13, 2014
• Latta pre-kindergarten is seeking information to help with 2014-2015 enrollment. Parents of students wishing to attend the program need to call the elementary office by May 1 to place the child on a pre-enrollment list. This is not enrollment, but may allow the school to schedule screenings. Call 580-332-7669 and speak to Mrs. Kessinger or Mr. Shivers. All Latta residents and parents/guardians of siblings of transfer students who have been at Latta since the 2001-2002 school year need to call as soon as possible to help schedule possible screenings. Attendance may be limited according to age and available space.
APRIL 14, 2014
• Healthy Hearts Club instructor Susan Coleman will be conducting beginners country line dances starting April 3 and ending April 28 at Ada Elks Lodge in Ada. Classes will be Mondays and Thursdays from 7 to 8 p.m.
• Free tax help and free e-filing are offered Mondays through April 14 by AARP Tax-Aide at the Ada Masonic Lodge Hall, 730 Crestview. All ages are welcome. For appointment, call 580/436-4494 weekdays between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.
• Veterans of Foreign Wars meets the second Monday of each month at 7 p.m. at the Pontotoc County Agri-Plex on the north side of the extension center building in Compartment B, south of the County jail.
For more information, call the VFW service office at 580-436-6252.
• Take Off Pounds Sensibly, a support weight loss group, meets at 8:30 a.m. each Monday at Central Church of Christ, 820 Stadium Drive. For more information, call 580-320-0747.
• Divorce Care meets from 6-8 p.m. Monday at H20Church kids building, located at the corner of Main and Broadway in Ada.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 580-427-5433.