Area briefs are for non-profit events and organizations. Briefs must be submitted at least five days before the event by bringing them into the office, emailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxing them to 580-332-8841. Briefs will not be accepted over the telephone. Church-related briefs are published only on Friday’s religion page.
JUNE 20, 2013
• Oklahoma Farm Bureau Safety Services is presenting an auto accident prevention course on June 24 and 25 from 6 o 9 p.m. at the Pontotoc County Farm Bureau Office, 1027 W. Main, Ada, with instruction on how to improve one’s driving skills. Upon earning the Oklahoma Motor Vehicle Accident Prevention Course Certificate, one would be eligible to receive a discount on his auto insurance. The class is open to the public. For more details and to sign up, call Shirley at (580) 332-8711.
JUNE 21, 2013
• Valley View Regional Hospital Foundation hosts its third annual Valley View Foundaiton Awards program and reception at 3 p.m. in the hospital classrooms 1-3 (hospital ground level).
• Stonewall classes of 1957, 1958. 1959 and 1960 are meeting at East Central University's Oklahoma Room, with visitation beginning at 4 p.m. and dinner at 6 p.m. Registration and catered meal cost $20 per person, which is payable at the door.
JUNE 22, 2013
• Byng Alumni Reunion takes place at the Byng School cafeteria. Registration begins at 5 p.m., and dinner will be served at 6:30 p.m. The catered meal will cost $15 per person. For more information, phone Brett Joplin at 399-7137.
• Stonewall alumni and all former students will meet at Ada Elks Lodge for dinner at 6 p.m., followed by a program. Cost is $15 per person. To register or for more information, phone Glenda Dale Brady at 580-265-4415.
JUNE 23, 2013
• The Kiwanis Club of Greater Ada coordinates the 4th of July Fireworks Display at Wintersmith Park and is asking for donations from businesses, organizations and individuals for this year’s fireworks display. Donations can be mailed to Kiwanis Club of Greater Ada, PO Box 1621, Ada, OK 74821; made through Paypal to email@example.com; or make donations at the Wintersmith concession stand between 6 and 9 p.m. and enter to win one of three season passes for rides and miniature golf (details posted at the concession stand). For more information, call 580-421-5779.
JUNE 24, 2013
• TOPS, Take Off Pounds Sensibly, a support weight loss group, meets at 8:30 a.m. each Monday at Central Church of Christ, 820 Stadium Drive. For more information, phone 580-320-0747.
• Emotions Anonymous is meeting every Monday from noon until 1 p.m. at Central Church of Christ, 820 Stadium Drive. For more information call Kristina at (580) 279-4870.
JUNE 25, 2013
• Combat Infantrymen’s Association (CIA) meets the fourth Tuesday of each month at 6 p.m. at Ada Public Library. This organization is open to Army infantry veterans who have served in a foreign war and earned the Combat Infantryman’s badge. For more information, phone Louis Dunlap, commander, at 580-436-2725 or Rich Putman.
• Al-Anon meets at 8 p.m. each Tuesday at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church.
JUNE 26, 2013
• Emotions Anonymous is meeting every Wednesday from noon until 1 p.m. at Central Church of Christ, 820 Stadium Drive. For more information, phone Kristina at (580) 279-4870.
• Divorce/Bereavement Support Group meets each Wednesday at 7 p.m. at The Compassion Outreach Center, 1124 Cradduck Road, Ada. This group offers support for those who have lost a loved one through divorce or death. For more information, phone Tom at 580-332-6506.
• A dance is conducted each Wednesday at Irving Community Center, 704 N. Oak, from 7:30-9:30 p.m. Cost is $5 per person and is open to the public.
JUNE 29, 2013
• Gerty School Reunion takes place at the Gerty Community Center. Potluck lunch will be served at noon. The center opens at 10 a.m., and guests are welcome to arrive early and are asked to take memorabilia and photos to show. Donations for the event will be accepted.
• Crookham/Clowdus Family Reunion is 11:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. at Marie Bailey Community Center, 1200 Jack John Circle in Ada. Family and friends are weilcome.
• The 60th annual Vanoss Alumni Banquet is 7 p.m. at the Vanoss School cafeteria. For tickets, phone the superintendent’s office at 580-759-2251, extension 103 or extension 126. Cost is $12 per person.
• Bat Bash 2013 takes place at the Madill Softball Comple. First game begins at 8 p.m. All proceeds go to the Durant Diamondbacks Little League Baseball Team. For more information, phone Mistie at 580-677-1888.
• Fishing for Recovery bass tournament will benefit Oklahoma tornado victims. Entries will be taken until noon Friday, June 28, at the following locations: Sharpe’s Department Store in Ada and Atoka, Kountry Store in Tupelo, C&C Hardware in Coalgate, Dollar Bills in Wapanucka, Advanced Medical Care in Tishomingo, Uncle Stew’s Guns in Durant. Donation buckets will also be available at these locations. Teams may be up to three individuals. Entry fee is $70 for heaviest stringer (five fish limit) with 50 percent payback to be awarded to the winner. Half of the entry fees will be given to the American Red Cross for use in helping those directly affected by the recent tornado outbreak. Check in is a t 8 p.m. at Clarita Fire Department in Clarita. For more information, phone 580-258-0000.