Area briefs are for non-profit events and organizations. Briefs must be submitted at least five days before the event by bringing them into the office, emailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxing them to 580-332-8841. Briefs will not be accepted over the telephone. Church-related briefs are published only on Friday’s religion page. All activities may be subject to change due to weather conditions.
APRIL 18, 2013
• Bread of Life Ministry’s community dinner is from 5:30-6:30 p.m. at Ada First Baptist Church, 521 S. Broadway.
• Pontotoc County Democrats meet at 7 p.m. in Room D on the north side of Pontotoc County Agri-plex to discuss the district meeting in Lawton and make future plans for the party.
• Fortnightly Study Club will have a spring luncheon and general meeting at noon at the First Lutheran Church on Stadium Drive. Phyllis Danley will speak about the ECU Foundation. All members and former members are encouraged to attend, as this may be one of the last meetings. You will have a chance to share memories from the past and stories — funny, serious or otherwise. The departments are Modern Book, Music and Progressive Drama, plus the recently retired 21st Century Department.
APRIL 19, 2013
• Pontotoc County Retired Educators Association (PCREA) meets at 11 a.m. at Ada Elks Lodge for its regular monthly meeting and noon luncheon. The program will be a legislative update by OREA Executive Director Norman Cooper and Ada Hill, district director. Officers will also be installed.
APRIL 20, 2013
• Ethan Wright, Stratford, will be conducting a colt starting clinic, demonstrating how to properly start a young horse in the round pen at 10 a.m. at the Pontotoc County Agri-Plex. Wright is an accomplished horseman and trainer and incorporates a positive message for the handler as well as the horse. The event is free and open to the public. Sponsored by Cross Cut Cowboy Church. For more information, phone 405-203-5783.