Area briefs are for non-profit events and organizations. Briefs must be submitted at least five days before the event by bringing them into the office, emailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxing them to 580-332-8841. Briefs will not be accepted over the telephone. Church-related briefs are published only on Friday’s religion page. All activities may be subject to change due to weather conditions.
APRIL 25, 2013
• Ada Recycling Coalition celebrates Earth Day Week during its annual meeting from 11:30 a.m. until 1 p.m. at the Aldridge Ballroom. Cost is $10 for the buffet lunch and a reusable bag. Dr. Doug Weirick, East Central University’s environmental health science instructor, will report on the current state of renewable energy in the United States and Oklahoma. He will also discuss the benefits of solar panels.
APRIL 26, 2013
• Shriners’ vidalia onions will leave Georgia by truck Monday, April 29, and arrive in Ada the following day. Cost is $10 for a 10-pound bag. To place an order, phone 310-0489 or 580-925-3852.
APRIL 27, 2013
• Union Valley Volunteer Fire Department hosts a fish fry from 4:30-7 p.m. at Ken Lance/Three Crosses arena on state Highway 3E and County Road 3610. A pie auction begins at 5:30 p.m. Donations will be accepted and appreciated.
• Community Give-A-Way takes place at 10 a.m. at The Refuge, 1001 Tipton Terrace A free meal, moon bounces and games are included in the event. Items to be given away include water, diapers and household goods.
• Timed event youth rodeo takes place at Pontotoc County Agri-Plex outdoor arena, 1710 N. Broadway. Books open at 9 a.m. and rodeo begins at 10:30 a.m. Contestant meeting is at 11:30 a.m. Western dress code is enforced. All horses must have a current negative coggins. Host for the event is Cross Cut Cowboy Church. For more information, phone Dan at 405-203-5783 or Chrischel at 580-399-2212 or visit www.crosscutcowboychurch.com.