Area briefs are for non-profit events and organizations. Briefs must be submitted at least five days before the event by bringing them into the office, emailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxing them to 580-332-8841. Briefs will not be accepted over the telephone. Church-related briefs are published only on Friday’s religion page. All activities may be subject to change due to weather conditions.
APRIL 25, 2013
• Ada Recycling Coalition celebrates Earth Day Week during its annual meeting from 11:30 a.m. until 1 p.m. at the Aldridge Ballroom. Cost is $10 for the buffet lunch and a reusable bag. Dr. Doug Weirick, East Central University’s environmental health science instructor, will report on the current state of renewable energy in the United States and Oklahoma. He will also discuss the benefits of solar panels.
APRIL 26, 2013
• Shriners’ vidalia onions will leave Georgia by truck Monday, April 29, and arrive in Ada the following day. Cost is $10 for a 10-pound bag. To place an order, phone 310-0489 or 580-925-3852.
APRIL 27, 2013
• Union Valley Volunteer Fire Department hosts a fish fry from 4:30-7 p.m. at Ken Lance/Three Crosses arena on state Highway 3E and County Road 3610. A pie auction begins at 5:30 p.m. Donations will be accepted and appreciated.
• Community Give-A-Way takes place at 10 a.m. at The Refuge, 1001 Tipton Terrace A free meal, moon bounces and games are included in the event. Items to be given away include water, diapers and household goods.
• Timed event youth rodeo takes place at Pontotoc County Agri-Plex outdoor arena, 1710 N. Broadway. Books open at 9 a.m. and rodeo begins at 10:30 a.m. Contestant meeting is at 11:30 a.m. Western dress code is enforced. All horses must have a current negative coggins. Host for the event is Cross Cut Cowboy Church. For more information, phone Dan at 405-203-5783 or Chrischel at 580-399-2212 or visit www.crosscutcowboychurch.com.
• Donna Welch Jones will be at the Ada Public Library for a book signing from 10 a.m. until noon. Copies of her new mystery, Deadly Search, will be $10. Refreshments will be provided. For additional information, phone 580-436-8121.
APRIL 28, 2013
• Byng School’s Indian Education Parent Committee will host a Recognition Assembly at 2 p.m. in the Byng High School auditorium with a reception to follow. Recognitions will include all Johnson O’Malley students in attendance as well as Outstanding Students from Francis, Homer, Byng Elementary, Byng Junior High, and Byng High School. All Johnson O’Malley students and their parents are invited to attend.
• Abba’s Tables, 600 W. 9th, hosts open house from 3-5 p.m. Multi-denominational dedication and blessing takes place at 4 p.m. Abba’s Tables provides free nutritious meals to people and families in need. The event is open to the public.
APRIL 29, 2013
• TOPS, Take Off Pounds Sensibly, a support weight loss group, meets at 8:30 a.m. each Monday at Central Church of Christ, 820 Stadium Drive. For more information, phone 580-320-0747.
• Emotions Anonymous is meeting every Monday from 12 noon until 1 p.m. at Central Church of Christ, 820 Stadium Drive. For more information call Kristina at (580) 279-4870.
APRIL 30, 2013
• Vanoss School conducts a Title VII program meeting at 6 p.m. at Vanoss School.
• Al-Anon meets at 8 p.m. each Tuesday at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church.
MAY 1, 2013
• Emotions Anonymous is meeting every Wednesday from 12 noon until 1 p.m. at Central Church of Christ, 820 Stadium Drive. For more information, phone Kristina at (580) 279-4870.
• Divorce/Bereavement Support Group meets each Wednesday at 7 p.m. at The Compassion Outreach Center, 1124 Cradduck Road, Ada. This group offers support for those who have lost a loved one through divorce or death. For more information, phone Tom at 580-332-6506.
• A dance is conducted each Wednesday at Irving Community Center, 704 N. Oak, from 7:30-9:30 p.m. Cost is $6 per person and is open to the public.