Area briefs are for non-profit events and organizations. Briefs must be submitted at least five days before the event by bringing them into the office, emailing them to email@example.com or faxing them to 580-332-8841. Briefs will not be accepted over the telephone. Church-related briefs are published only on Friday’s religion page. All activities may be subject to change due to weather conditions.
JANUARY 20, 2013
• A chicken-fried dinner fund raiser is scheduled Sunday, Jan. 20, to benefit two firefighters battling cancer. The event to help J.B. Nelson, Allen Volunteer Fire Department, and Harold Sanders, Atwood VFD, takes place at Allen Masonic Lodge from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. Cost of the meal is a donation.
JANUARY 21, 2013
• All non-emergency offices at the city of Ada will be closed in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day. All city of Ada offices will reopen for regular hours on Tuesday, Jan. 22. Ada City Council will meet at 5:45 p.m. Tuesday at Ada City Hall. WCA will collect garbage Monday as scheduled.
• TOPS, Take Off Pounds Sensibly, a support weight loss group, meets at 8:30 a.m. each Monday at Central Church of Christ, 820 Stadium Drive. For more information, phone 580-320-0747.
• Students at Byng Elementary School have utilized Oklahoma Blood Institute’s (OBI) grade-specific curriculum, Kids Care, for several weeks. Their learning will culminate with a blood drive from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 500 South Bethel Boulevard.
JANUARY 22, 2013
• A new GriefShare group begins at First Baptist Church of Ada, 521 S. Broadway. The sessions are from 7-9 p.m. Contact Debbie Wall at 580-777-2711 or FBC of Ada at 580-332-4121 for more information.
JANUARY 23, 2013
• The Divorce/Bereavement Support Group meets each Wednesday at 7 p.m. at The Compassion Outreach Center, 1124 Cradduck Rd., Ada. The group offers support for those who have lost a loved one through divorce or death. For more information, phone Tom at 580-332-6506.