Area briefs are for non-profit events and organizations. Briefs must be submitted at least five days before the event by bringing them into the office, emailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxing them to 580-332-8841.
JUNE 28, 2013
• Ada Area Roundup Club hosts a playday event at 7 p.m. at the Pontotoc County Agri-plex outdoor arena. The event is open to the public. For more information, phone 405-395-8147, 580-272-0260 or 580-320-2400.
JUNE 29, 2013
• Gerty School Reunion takes place at the Gerty Community Center. Potluck lunch will be served at noon. The center opens at 10 a.m., and guests are welcome to arrive early and are asked to bring memorabilia and photos to show. Donations for the event will be accepted.
• Crookham/Clowdus Family Reunion is from 11:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. at Marie Bailey Community Center, 1200 Jack John Circle in Ada. Family and friends are welcome.
• The 60th annual Vanoss Alumni Banquet is 7 p.m. at the Vanoss School cafeteria. For tickets, phone the superintendent’s office at 580-759-2251, extension 103 or extension 126. Cost is $12 per person.
• Bat Bash 2013 takes place at the Madill Softball Complex. First game begins at 8 p.m. All proceeds go to the Durant Diamondbacks Little League Baseball Team. For more information, phone Mistie at 580-677-1888.
• Fishing for Recovery bass tournament will benefit Oklahoma tornado victims. Entries will be taken until noon Friday, June 28, at the following locations: Sharpe’s Department Store in Ada and Atoka, Kountry Store in Tupelo, C&C Hardware in Coalgate, Dollar Bills in Wapanucka, Advanced Medical Care in Tishomingo and Uncle Stew’s Guns in Durant. Donation buckets will also be available at these locations. Teams may be up to three individuals. Entry fee is $70 for heaviest stringer (five-fish limit), with 50 percent payback to be awarded to the winner. Half of the entry fees will be given to the American Red Cross for use in helping those directly affected by the recent tornado outbreak. Check-in is at 8 p.m. at Clarita Fire Department in Clarita. For more information, phone 580-258-0000.